What Am I Allowed To Bring To Rehab
Every therapy clinic permits certain things while forbids others and this is very important to know this once getting ready for treatment.
What you can carry to rehabilitation is subject to clinics' severe regulations. Majority of facilities give you a list of permitted and prohibited items.
Following your arrival at the treatment centre, you are required to check in and initiate the admission process. Your clinic's welcome staff will check your bags to guarantee safety and that nothing forbidden is sneaked through. It is a habit with some centres to prepare a catalogue of the items which you bring in order to ensure that you do not leave anything behind when you leave.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. The policies on the kind of items you can carry will vary according to the centres.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Know What To Pack
The rehab will always notify you of all the items that are not allowed in their facility. Search for the FAQ page if that section is not present. The patients are also given hard copies with all the items listed. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly with the rehab administrators. They should be able to help you with that concern. At the same time, they can walk you through and guide you on what to expect prior, during and after admission.
Recommended Items List For Rehabilitation
The list varies from centre to centre.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- The contact details of the people close to the patient.
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- Other items can just be left at home.
- An alarm clock.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- Existing prescription medication should have complete and accurate labels and original container.
- Medication in liquid form should be sealed and in the freshest condition.
- All this information should be provided before the patient is admitted.
- Some money but not a lot of it.
- Your payment card in the form of debit/debit card or your check book.
- Bring along your insurance card as well as documents needed for personal identity verification.
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- A notebook or a journal.
- Envelopes or stamps in instances where you need to write and mail letters to friends and family.
- Pictures of your loved ones to be retained within your room or your wallet.
- Books and magazines will probably be given by your clinic.
- You can bring your own, but rehabs usually allow books of some specific genre only like self-help, spiritually-oriented, etc.
- ADVISE Paperback books are more convenient than hardcovers.
What Clothes For The Centre
Be conscious of any limitations on the dress code while packing because most clinics have one. You can prepare yourself by carrying a cloth that can be comfortable in all types of weather.
Be aware that you shouldn't pack over the limits as your room could not be that spacious.
Laundry spaces are accessible in a facility so you can plan your clothes packing based on that amenity. Packing on clothing that is easy to wash and will not require dry-cleaning will prove helpful.
Keep the weather in mind and bring a seven day weather-appropriate set of clothes like.
- Shoes An everyday comfortable shoes, a training or sports shoes for fitness activities, and flip flops for showering
- Shirts Ensure your shirts are in line with the dress code of your centre.
- Pants Comfortable pants fit for any occasion
- Shorts They have to be long enough to comply with the clinic's dress code.
- Carry a few clothes that will be used for important events.
- Fresh and clean pairs of socks.
- A bathing suit a one piece for women and trunks for men.
- A coat / jacket.
- Bathing robe.
- Caps or hats, although they may not be allowed indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products To Take
A number of centres require alcohol-free toiletries and personal products. While other centres may allow you to bring products with alcohol component as long as it is not listed as one of the top three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed
The beauty products you carry should be enough and they are
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair styling products [pump hairspray only]
- Hair brush
- Feminine wash or hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
All rehabs have strict rules and do not allow certain prohibited items within the centres. The measures taken to ensure your safety and to create the best environment for your recovery. The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Drugs and alcohol
- Sedatives or forbidden prescriptions
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Food and drinks
- Toiletries and beauty products which contain alcohol (mouthwash, perfume, etc.)
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Nail polish, polish remover and synthetic nail related products
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sport equipment
- Sexy or revealing clothing
- Body sprays with strong cents
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electronic gadgets
- Games and playing cards
- Incense and candles
- Clothes with crude statements or photos of drug, violence, or alcohol on them
The items mentioned in this list could very well surprise you and lead you to believe that games like playing cards, video games, DVDs and sporting equipment are indeed safe. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. At times, your centre will provide these items
Outside catering is also prohibited because the food you eat needs to be according to the standards. You will be given three meals per day, snacks, and drinks You should look forward to notifying your rehab before being admitted if you have any special dietary requirements.
These Items Are Allowed By Some But Prohibited By Others
There are clinics that may permit items that are forbidden in others as every centre has its regulations. The list below includes items that are permitted by some centres
- Cell phone and Laptop
- In case you have this permission in your rehab, chances are your access to it is limited.
- You must ensure that you do not forget your power cords.
- Some facilities will allow you to bring in cigarettes if you are a smoker.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Vitamins and Over-The-Counter Medications
- All the medicine should either be prescribed or new.
- Chewing gum
- They shouldn't have been opened before.
- MP3 and CD Players
- Devices without speakers or Internet access may be allowed by some centres.
- Cameras are allowed by some treatment centres.
- Disposable Razor or Electric Razor
- This depends on the rehab facility since it is considered dangerous.
- Disposable razors are allowed in most cases.
- Nail Clippers
- It depends with the requirement in the facility.
- Personalizing Your Room To Make It Feel Homey
- Many centres allow patients to bring their own mattresses and pillows and other stuff to give their room a more homely appearance.
- It is best to call up the rehab centre and check if they allow such items.
What Will Happen To A Contraband That I Brought With Me
It is possible that by mistake you pack something that is not allowed, but you should not worry in case this happens. In all likelihood, the centre will handover the item to the individual who accompanied you. Many others will hold the items for 24 hours until someone comes over to pick them up. In some cases, the centres may decide to store the items for you until your departure.
If you are traveling from a distant location and are arriving by air it is likely that you will not have a loved one with you during the admission to take the prohibited items back. You should check with the centre what items are allowed and what are not before packing. Any prohibited items that they have confiscated are expected to be returned. In case they do not do temporary safe keeping, then inquire if they can facilitate shipment to someone you know.
Preparing Your Stuff For Rehab You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. Look for a packing checklist on the website of the rehab will make the process of packing even easier. Pack only what you need as an advice.
Act Now For Help
No need to worry since some of the facilities accept most of the items that will make your recovery process as smooth as possible. Talk to our experts who can assist you in your goal of locating a suitable treatment centre.
Call us now on 0800 246 1509 for help in finding a centre.