Drug Addiction In College Campuses
College life to some is often associated with parties where binge drinking and abuse of recreational and prescription drugs are common.
Many people that abuse drugs are young people that are still in school especially in the higher institutions.
Young individuals [ages 18 to 24] are already at an increased risk of addiction.
Trying to fit in socially is what lead many new students in colleges to start using drugs. Socializing is eased with the consumption of booze therefore making alcohol an attractive invitation. Binge drinking is not something that every student starts doing as soon as he enters college, but drinking on a regular basis pushes many students onto the path of addiction.
It is surprising to know that students enrolled to attend college full time are 2x more likely to become addicts or drug abusers compared to those who are out of school.
Reasons Why College Pupils Revert To Drugs
The percentage of drug abusers among college students is on the higher side and is attributed to a number of factors, including the following
- For students dealing with the stress of coursework, part time jobs, internships and the likes many students turn to drugs as a coping mechanism.
- Course Load
- Wanting to succeed always makes the students study harder and they can use some stimulants in a bid to enhance their concentration.
- More often than not, commonly abused stimulants like Adderall are acquired without a genuine prescription.
- It is a common habit among college students to explore the new aspects of life both in personal and professional realms.
- Trying drugs is part of these new phases.
- Influence From Others
- Your environment and the kind of people who surround you are more likely to influence your person and your decision making.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Eating Abnormalities And Dieting Pills In College
Eating disorders are highly common among college students who are considered to be at an elevated risk in the development of such problems.
There was a survey done by the National Institute of Mental Health that shows majority of these students suffer from some eating problem. A report revealed that the number of both males and females having unhealthy eating behaviours has increased by far in the past twenty years. Peer pressure and low-self esteem among college students drive them to pop dieting pills to lose undesirable weight easily. This has the potential to cause severe health problems up to and including death. Learn about diet pill abuse and eating disorders in college students.
College Drug Choices
Depending on the prevailing waves and technological advances of the time, the drug of choice among college students change with time.
With that said, certain drugs are most commonly abused in college campuses. They are
- Alcohol is the most commonly abused substance in college campuses.
- It is not considered illicit especially if you are of age hence regulating or identifying abuse of this substance is often overlooked.
- Adderall also has the nickname of being a "study drug" and this medication along with some other stimulants is increasingly becoming popular with college students who are facing the pressure to meet all their academic requirements.
- In many states, Marijuana is now legal and that's why its use among college students is rising.
- You shouldn't be surprised to see that it is being abused more than liquor.
- MDMA or molly is the pure form of ecstasy, this is a drug that was very popular in the 90s, and has recently been making its way back.
- Party drugs are most popular with people who are in their late teens or 20s, and as most college students fall into this age-bracket, recreational drugs are popular among them.
- One of the most common party drugs is MDMA.
Alcohol Effects On College Pupils
No other drug is more commonly abused by college students than alcohol. Alcohol is always present in all the social gatherings in the colleges.
It is observed that the average college students consume more alcohol that their out of school counterparts which can be attributed to the culture and widespread use in campuses.
Alcohol is used by majority of the population in the campuses.
A research performed by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism has shown that about half of pupils have drank heavily. There are many problems that are associated with the excessive use of alcohol such as death and even dropping out of the colleges. Know about alcohol abuse among college students and the dangerous effects of alcohol on the health.
Fraternity And Sorority Drug And Alcohol Abuse
There are many different fraternities in colleges, each of which encourages its members to have friendly relations with other members and to seek excellence in academia and other spheres, but Greek system, with all its good points, has more cases of alcohol and drug abuse than others.
Members of a Greek system abuse drugs more than other students.
Seeking Assistance For Drug And Alcohol Abuse
If you or someone you know in campus is overtly showing signs of any of the aforementioned abuse, take urgent action to ask for help. We can help you get the best assistance in stopping this addiction. We invite you to contact us on 0800 246 1509 so that we can help you get over your addiction and reclaim your life.